Tuesday 22 January 2008

The Beginning......

Well, where to start....

This is going to be a blog mainly about our allotment but I'm sure that other aspects of life will sneak in too!

We signed for our lottie yesterday after receiving a call on Friday to say we had been offered the one we had had our eye on for a while. We are on a site of over 100 plots in East Yorkshire. We are flanked by a fairly new housing estate on one side and fields on the other. It is diagonally opposite my parents plot, has car parking next to it and a tap outside. It is mainly grass with some weeds, some muddy patches and some rubble. There are about 5 sad looking sprout plants and a lone onion! Aaaah poor things.

It is in need of a decent fence, a shed and a greenhouse (which we are busy sourcing online as we speak). I want to add a decent compost bin and a kiddy corner for the girls to play in. They will also have their own 'mini plot' to grow whatever they want in - which at the moment is a magic beanstalk!!! :-)

We need to decide where to put the beds, where to put the paths and what material to use for them. I'm leaning towards pavers but will probably leave them as grass for the time being.

I am sooooo keen to get going but this wet weather is really putting a downer on things - I read the other day we are in for the wettest year for years.

Come back this time next year folks and see if I've managed to get anything done - I could well have East Yorkshires most lucrative paddy fields!!!!


No comments: